Thursday 16 August 2012

Book Review: Unearthly


In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate,and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
By now should you even ask me why I got this book? Love triangle... duh! A very good one at that but without a lot of jealousy. Until the second book that is ;) (Which I'm reading now)
Of course I have the UK cover, as I live in the UK surprisingly but I still like it.
So basically part-angels like Clara and her brother have their own Purpose which they get clues about through day-dreams, dreams, visions etc. The only clues Clara is given progress into a forest fire with a boy standing in the middle. So her family uproot to live near the forest in her visions so she can try and save the boy from the forest fire. As soon as she meets Christian Prescott she instantly knows he's the boy in her vision. The boy she's meant to save.
He's not the only boy that soon comes into her life though as she soon finds out when she meets her new friends Wendy's twin brother, Tucker and his old truck Bluebell.
Soon the fire is upon them, soon she has a choice to make, soon she discovers her Purpose is more complexed than she could of dreamed and there's something lurking in the background bigger than all of them.
While reading this book I really enjoyed every tiny detail but in my head I was trying to blossom the love triangle into more than it was, or so I thought. When I finished this book I really enjoyed it and couldn't wait until the next book was honestly over time I forgot about it until I saw the second in the series on Amazon so I ordered it and I'm reading it right now. It's as good as I remember and everything's gotten a whole lot more difficult for Clara and her friends.


Quotes:
“Are you any good at it?"
"Pulling idiots out of the snow? I'm the best.”
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.” 


Tucker: Today we ran into a mama grizzly with two cubs at the ridge off Colter Bay and Clara sang to it to make it go away.
Mrs. Avery: You sang to it?
Tucker: Her singing is that bad. 


AWARDS!:

  • POWER OF SARCASM - Yepp, this is one of those books I felt myself laughing out loud at the sarcastic comments and I'm not even going to deny it.
  • UNIQUITY - I felt this story was unique because for once the girl had a purpose to save a boy which I felt was very unique.
  • MATCHING COVERS - I felt it deserved this award because the colour scheme for the covers in the Unearthly series stay the same and only the main picture changes which I thought was refreshing for my bookshelf :)



  • Paperback: 448 pages
  • Publisher: Egmont Books Ltd (2 May 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1405259647
  • ISBN-13: 978-1405259644
  • Product Dimensions: 19.4 x 12.8 x 3.2 cm

The Second in the series: Hallowed! Which is on my Currently Reading Page

No comments:

Post a Comment