Saturday 25 August 2012

Book Review: City of Bones

Maybe because there was such a big hype about this book and a need to like it or maybe because I was just in a fowl mood when reading it but all I can say was it was... OK.
*Don't hit me!*

Maybe give me a few days and I'll come to my senses but did anyone else see then ending... eck!
But it's ok... I have crap friends who spoil endings if I don't cover my ears and sing at the top of my lungs when around them.

I must of liked something in this book (perhaps the love triangle *wink wink* who knows?) because I did put all of the books up to City of Lost Souls and the Infernal Devices series on my Amazon wishlist. My favourite scene was page 292 and I know this because it's my friend's copy (Morgan, for future reference) and she's a page corner folder which I'm pretty sure most people fell is a sin but what can yaddo?

Anyway....

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

So when I first saw the book in Eason I was like 'Ew!' and even now I wrinkle my nose (wow that makes me sound like a snob) but still... Anyway that one time of seeing the book set of a chain reaction in which the book showed up everywhere! Then my good-friend Morgan tells me she's read it and I can barely stop my jaw-dropping. From what I'd heard of the book everyone loved it so I gave it a chance.

My mind didn't really settle into the world of the Shadowhunters but I kept reading and reading until after less than 48 hours I was finished.
I think I was in a fowl mood, being basically banished my granny's kitchen to read does that to me surprisingly, because once I got home and to my own bed I was laughing at the jokes in the book.

While I was reading I couldn't help but think of all the times I heard Jace was sarcastic but mainly I found Clary funnier even if Jace did have his moments.

Once it ended I should of been shocked like most readers, but nope (thank you blabber-mouthing friends who can't keep their mouths shut) so maybe that's why I wasn't so enthusiastic but I am looking forward to see how the rest of the series goes.

Wow it sounds like I hated this book which I certainly did not. Hate is a strong word. I did enjoy the read and can't wait to read the rest of the series. I'm even trying to earn money to move them quickly from my wish list to basket :)


I also found out this went from being a a trilogy to a fricking 6 books series? Like make up your mind...

Quotes:

"At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.” 


“If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now.” 

“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.” 

Awards:

  • AwkwardTriangle - because the awkward love triangle moments made this book for me
  • BonesToAshesToGlass - Cool names. I'll give them that
  • PerfectlyTimed - The book had the perfect times for people to walk in and mess things up

  • Paperback: 448 pages
  • Publisher: Walker Books Ltd (2 July 2007)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1406307629
  • ISBN-13: 978-1406307627
  • Product Dimensions: 19.6 x 13 x 3.4 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment