Friday 17 August 2012

Book Review: Low Red Moon

The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans. As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver, this is a book to be devoured in one sitting—by an acclaimed YA author making her paranormal debut under the pseudonym Ivy Devlin.



I honestly can't remember the main reason why I bought this book because there's nothing overly interesting in the blurb that doesn't make it sound like every other book out there. I think I was still coming out of my younger girly days and into the paranormal YA fiction when I picked it up.

From what I can remember (as I read this a long time ago) the story is about Avery who lives with her grandma after her parents are murdered. She was there the night they were killed but can only remember a flash of silver. Then she meets a new guy at school (shocking right?) who (this  technically isn't a spoiler because it's on the blurb) reveals he is a werewolf. At the start she tries to stay away but then she decides she trusts him. Meanwhile her grandma's house is trying to be bought by some wacko who also tried to buy Avery's house before her parents died. After a while Avery decided she doesn't trust Ben because she sees a flash of silver in his eyes. She goes to her old house and tries to put the pieces together.

While reading this book it took me forever to get through because there wasn't as much romance as I wanted. The writing was very slow but the events seemed to be happening very quickly and it felt like the story line was squashed into a small book.

It was an ok quick read but nothing that kept me thinking about it long after it had ended. I was relieved when it was over so I could start something else but it wasn't a terrible read. The story was ok (wow I seem to be using that word a lot) and I didn't expect the ending which now that I think about it I feel pretty stupid.

There was nothing memorable about the characters except for the fact that Ben was always wearing mocassins and Avery had a blood red strip of hair I think. Apart from these two points about the characters t's just another cliche paranormal romance YA fiction book.

An interesting thing about this book however is that every time the word moon is mentioned it is in red bold and the pages had little patterns and designs on them but really I wanted a good story.

Quotes:
“I was the girl who had hair like blood.” 
“I remembered screaming then, screaming until my voice stopped.” 
“We could be something amazing- or we could end up destroying each other.” 
“Love can be broken but never forgotten.” 

Awards!;

  • Reflective Image - because the front cover was shiny like a mirror and reflected light
  • Bold Moon - because it was different to have one word be mentioned so much and stand out in blood red bold type (not necessarily a good thing though because I found myself thinking 'yes I get it!' after a while)
Buy at Amazon: Low Red Moon

  • Paperback: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (7 Feb 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 140881398X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1408813980
  • Product Dimensions: 14 x 2 x 21 cm

Oh and I just found out that there's going to be a second in the series. No offence but why bother? Perhaps I'll give it a chance. Moonrise

No comments:

Post a Comment